Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 15:30:48 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Support for out-of-tree build

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 08:17:05PM +0000, Petr Hosek wrote:
> There is one other issue with the VPATH solution which I just realized
> while trying to make changes to the original patch: the order-only
> dependencies don't work with VPATH because the directories already exist
> the source directory, so we'd need to use the solution with .dirstamps.

Alternatively, configure could be responsible for making the skeleton
tree at the same time it puts a Makefile in the build dir. I don't
know if I like this approach but it's achievable with a simple find
command.

I'm still uncertain which approach (VPATH or non-VPATH) we should
take, so I'm trying to reason through the consequences of both.