Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 21:29:03 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Results of Aboriginal/musl CFLAGS experiment

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 09:35:39AM +0200, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> Step 3: add "-falign-jumps=1 -falign-labels=1"
> Step 4: add "-falign-functions=1 -falign-loops=1"
>
> Not particularly interesting - they do reduce size of every program I measured,
> but some (many?) people would prefer to leave it to gcc to decide when
> and how align code, for speed reasons. Anyway, here are stats:

We had these a long time ago, but I removed them in commit
a80847d86a8865a78fdbebe7f9e2533f7a74e010 because I thought they were
the default at -Os and only relevant to debloating -O3. However I've
heard some suggestions that -Os is no longer worthwhile and that -O2
with overrides to turn off the useless/harmful alignment would be a
better default. Do you have any input on this topic?