Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 15:08:31 +0100
From: u-uy74@...ey.se
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Would love to see reconsideration for domain and
 search

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 02:39:36PM +0100, Jan Broer wrote:
> I don't think we disagree there. The user decides whether search is used by
> either setting the search keyword in resolv.conf or by configuring his DHCP
> client (dhclient.conf) to fetch the domain-search option from the DHCP
> server.

You seem to assume that the user can not influence the ndots option in the
resolv.conf if the corresponding host is to use some other data delivered
by dhcp (i.e. for building resolv.conf).

For certain setups this can be true, probably meaning that they [rely
on a non-existent standard and] do not bother having proper control
over resolv.conf?

Otherwise, in a general case, we disagree.

Isn't it reasonable that people wishing to use extra and
"somewhat/potentially expensive" features of resolv.conf have to put
effort into actually activating them?

Regards,
Rune