Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 17:57:10 -0400
From: Kurt H Maier <khm@....org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Would love to see reconsideration for domain and
 search

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 02:33:31PM -0700, Tim Hockin wrote:
> Where is the standard that defines ordering semantics in resolv.conf?

There isn't one, but that doesn't mean you get to ensconce the behavior
you like.  That was my point.

> Search has to be ordered.  You can not possibly argue otherwise?

I can and do.

> I am arguing for adding a very standard feature (search) to open musl to a
> whole new space of users.

You're not arguing for simple inclusion of search; you're arguing for
specific behavior that is impossible to implement in a sane manner,
because that's how glibc does it.  I am not against domain and search,
but I don't just want functionality poorly added just to check some box
on a random other project's wishlist.

> Nobody is forcing you to use search paths or ndots.

Not sure how this is relevant?  Nobody's forcing anyone to do anything.
What is your point?

khm