Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 14:29:19 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Would love to see reconsideration for domain and
 search

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 07:40:45PM +0200, Jan Broer wrote:
> >I think that is where we have arrived (except it's < and >= in your
> >expressions).  Kubernetes will have to change some to satisfy the
> >assumed fungibility of nameservers, but it's the direction things are
> >almost certainly moving anyway.
>
> Hi Tim, i guess i skipped these last message - sorry.
>
> If you could clear this up for me:
> When there are multiple nameservers, does the musl resolver return the
> first response it receives regardless of it's status?
> So even when it is something like SERVFAIL or REFUSED it will not wait for
> the responses from the other nameservers that might be positive?

No. musl basically ignores and response except success or nxdomain.
Actually servfail is treated specially and results in a limited number
of immediate retries because there are a lot of broken nameservers
that return servfail but immediately succeed on a second try, and
doing the immediate retry drastically speeds up queries in such
environments.

In any case, only success or nxdomain are treated as results
reportable to the caller. Otherwise musl waits for one of these and
returns a transient failure (not does-not-exist) if it times out.