Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 01:22:06 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>
Cc: Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>,
	libc-alpha <libc-alpha@...rceware.org>,
	"musl@...ts.openwall.com" <musl@...ts.openwall.com>,
	gcc@....gnu.org, Binutils <binutils@...rceware.org>
Subject: Re: RFC: adding Linux vsyscall-disable and similar
 backwards-incompatibility flags to ELF headers?

On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 10:03:27PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 9:55 PM, Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:

> >> Oddly, that causes a compatibility problem.  There's a program called
> >> pin that does dynamic instrumentation and actually expects to be able
> >> to read the targets of calls.  The way that Linux handles this now is
> >
> > Um, do people seriously need to do this dynamic instrumentation on
> > ancient obsolete binaries? This sounds to me like confused
> > requirements.
>
> Unclear.  They certainly did, and I got a bug report, the first time
> around.  That was a couple years ago.
>
> I suppose we could have a sysctl that you need to set to enable that
> use case.  OTOH, I think that, as long as we have a way to distinguish
> new and old binaries, it's not that much harder to twiddle vsyscall
> readability per process than it is to twiddle vsyscall executability
> per process.

But we don't have a (reasonable) way to distinguish new and old
binaries, at least not at the right point in history. If we're adding
a new header or whatnot, only bleeding-edge binaries will benefit from
it. All existing binaries from the past N years that don't need the
vsyscall nonsense will still get it unnecessarily, and still be
subject to the risks.

This has me wondering if there's any point in trying to solve the
problem on the granularity of individual programs. Users running
all-new binaries (that would benefit from a header flag) can just
remove vsyscall support entirely from their kernels. Users with a mix
binaries of various ages will likely still have the vsyscall risk in
most programs, _including_ many newer binaries that have no use for
vsyscall but lack the new header.

BTW, since the only calls to vsyscall are from glibc, it seems to me
that the only ways vsyscall can be needed are:

1. The user is running old glibc, in which case all dynamic-linked
   programs need it.

2. The user is running old static-linked glibc binaries. Almost nobody
   does this. During the era of vsyscall, static linking was all but
   deprecated.

3. The user is running old binaries using a custom library path with
   old glibc in it. This is almost certainly just a bogus setup since
   glibc's symbol versioning is supposed to make old binaries run fine
   with a newer libc.so.

None of these seem to be use cases that we should be engineering
complex solutions for. For case 1, the solution wouldn't help anyway
since all programs need vsyscall. For cases 2 and 3, if the user wants
to harden their system so that newer binaries are not affected by
vsyscall, they should just remove vsyscall and fix their old
binaries/libraries. In case 2, in particular, you can assume the
ability to re-link with an updated glibc; otherwise, there's an LGPL
violation going on.