Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 00:02:41 +0200
From: Laurent Bercot <ska-dietlibc@...rnet.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: lchmod on Linux

On 26/08/2015 23:09, Tomasz Sterna wrote:
> One thing could be always returning 0, as this is really a no-op on
> Linux.

  I tend to agree with that.
  https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=lchmod&sektion=2  does not
describe EOPNOTSUPP as a possible error code. Is there a reason not
to make lchmod return 0 when the underlying fchmodat returns
-1 EOPNOTSUPP?

>> EOPNOTSUP is a documented result for fchmodat, [...]
> Is it a documented result for lchmod? (Google is no help here.)

  Not according to the FreeBSD doc.
  The thing is, lchmod() is not POSIX, it's only BSD (I could find
doc for FreeBSD and MacOS X); the best behaviour is not to use it
at all. What libarchive should really do is to replace lchmod() with
fchmodat() and explicitly test for EOPNOTSUPP.

--
  Laurent