Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 11:15:55 +0200
From: Joakim Sindholt <opensource@...sha.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cross-compiling Musl with Clang's integrated assembler

On Mon, 2015-08-24 at 16:24 +1000, Matthew Fernandez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to build Musl for an ARM target on an x86_64 host using Clang. It seems some of the Musl
> assembly uses the LDR pseudo instruction that the Clang integrated assembler doesn't understand:
>
>      $ clang -target arm-none-eabi -integrated-as -c crt/arm/crt1.s
>      '+soft-float-abi' is not a recognized feature for this target (ignoring feature)
>       crt/arm/crt1.s:10:9: error: unexpected token in operand
>              ldr a4,=_fini
>
> Is this configuration supported? Perhaps Musl is never intended to be built by Clang's assembler.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>
> clang version: 3.4-1ubuntu3

You probably want to upgrade to at least 3.5. If memory serves, ARM
support was very much incomplete until then. I have no trouble building
musl with clang -integrated-as (3.6) currently, so long as it's not the
armhf arch target which uses some pre-UAL assembly.
I'm not sure if your target triple has anything to do with it, but I'm
currently using armv7a-none-eabi.

-- Joakim