Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 10:32:21 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: Bastian Bittorf <bittorf@...ebottle.com>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: curious file access problem

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 04:26:14PM +0200, Bastian Bittorf wrote:
> * Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> [20.08.2015 16:14]:
> > > i can see it too - not on 3.18 but with kernel 4.1.5
> > > you are right, busybox 'route -n' is affected and does not
> > > see a default route (the same for hexdump, strings...)
> >
> > In that case, it sounds like somebody broke the kernel. This is rather
> > unfortunate, and it would be great if someone could look into the bug
> > and get it fixed before these broken kernels are too widespread...
>
> to be more exact:
> 'route -n' is does not see a default route (while parsing
> /proc/net/route) but 'cat /proc/net/route' see's it (so the kernel is
> fine).

That doesn't follow. This is almost certainly a kernel bug where
different sequences of read syscalls see different contents in the
/proc-bsed pseudo-file due to some sort of state corruption or other
bug in the 'file position' state the kernel keeps for it. Stuff like
this has happened before in /proc and it wouldn't surprise me at all
if someone broke it again.