Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 23:53:38 +0200
From: Laurent Bercot <ska-dietlibc@...rnet.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: /dev/log: datagram, stream, both?

On 11/08/2015 23:41, Rich Felker wrote:
> Busybox 1.0 syslogd:
>
> http://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/sysklogd/syslogd.c?id=1_00#n561
>
> That's from 2004. We could go back even earlier but I don't know where
> the syslogd was (or if it even had one) if we go further back.

  I'm not denying there were SOCK_DGRAM servers. What I'm saying is that
I had a SOCK_STREAM server and it worked, which means libcs had support
for SOCK_STREAM clients.

  And the glibc still does:
  http://repo.or.cz/w/glibc.git/blob/HEAD:/misc/syslog.c

  If there's no authoritative source asserting that /dev/log is a datagram
socket and nothing else, I'm submitting a feature request to support
SOCK_STREAM in musl's syslog(). I know it would horribly complicate the
code, but I have something that works with glibc and doesn't with musl,
and nobody wants that. :)

--
  Laurent