Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 22:57:58 +0300 (MSK)
From: Alexander Monakov <amonakov@...ras.ru>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
cc: Constantine <iamvfx@...il.com>
Subject: Re: Commit 01d4274 breaks Clang's LeakSanitizer when used
 with musl

> i think the cause is that they intercept all allocation functions
> and if the act of interception calls into the intercepted function
> itself then they have a problem

This should never happen on musl since it links with -Bsymbolic-functions, and
even uses protected visibility now.

> for glibc calloc they have some ugly workaround, maybe similar hack
> is needed for free in musl, but none of this is future proof so
> they will just keep piling hacks..

Re: hacks, I think it doesn't have to be like that.  There should be a
reasonable mechanism to wrap library functions in the context of dynamic
linking; static linking is slightly ahead in that game if you count ld
--wrap=symbol functionality.

For dynamic linking it should be doable with a new type of ELF tag and a bit
of support from the dynamic linker.  Would you be interested?

(at the moment I don't have an answer why lsan started failing like that; and
even if, hypothetically, there would be a good library wrapping mechanism,
sanitizers would likely need other support from libc, like dynamic tls layout
discovery for memory sanitizer; I hope it can be resolved to everyone's
satisfaction eventually, improving sanitizers usability, rather than ignoring
it and perpetually calling sanitizers a pile of hacks)

Alexander