Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 01:06:04 +0200
From: "piranna@...il.com" <piranna@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Link problems with static node-canvas

I have been trying in the last days to craft a statically linked
version of node-canvas (https://github.com/Automattic/node-canvas) to
use it in NodeOS (a musl-based Linux OS with no global libraries).

In my fork I managed to convert it from needing cairo, libjpeg,
freetype and giflib as dynamica libraries to create it as a statically
linked shared object that contains all of them inside, making it
autonomous (that's the way ideally Node.js addons are build, as .so
files -with the extension changed to .node- with all their
dependencies statically linked and not needing any dynamic library.
This .node files later are loaded with dlopen() when someone requires
them by calling the require() function from inside Node.js).

When compiling it in Ubuntu using glibc it works correctly, but when
compiling it for NodeOS using musl, I got an error about "Error
relocating: jinit_arith_decode symbol not found"
(https://github.com/Automattic/node-canvas/issues/551#issuecomment-114253760).
That function is from libjpeg, and both the jpeg.a and the canvas.node
files have references to it. I've trying to use the musl-compiled
canvas.node file by using LD_LIBRARY_PATH and it shows the "Error
relocating" string, but doesn't clarify where's the error. At first I
though it would be a libjpeg-turbo problem, but after removing the
support for JPEG in node-canvas, the same "Error relocating" problem
showed, only that now regarding to a FreeType function, so since it
works correctly with glibc that's why I thought it could be a linking
problem related to musl. This is strange since other compiled modules
works correctly under NodeOS, but it's true they don't link with other
libraries (both startic or dynamic) beyond the C lib or the Linux
kernel SysCalls... :-/

Any idea or suggestiong about what could be the culprit or where to
continue investigating?

Unix."
– Linus Tordvals, creador del sistema operativo Linux