Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 08:24:17 +0200
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@...ux-m68k.org>
To: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
Cc: Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net>, musl@...ts.openwall.com, libc-alpha@...rceware.org,
	Linux-sh list <linux-sh@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: SH sigcontext ABI is broken

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 11:34 PM, Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:
>> I want musl to support sh2 but I _also_ want it to support coldfire and
>> h8300 and so on. If musl is the successor to uclibc (which needs to be
>> put out of its misery), it needs nommu support for several different
>> architectures. If you insist that every nommu architecture must also run
>> those nommu binaries on with-mmu sibling architectures, you're going to
>> be unifying coldfire and m68k next...
>
> If you look at the kernel I'm pretty sure that already works...
> Coldfire does not seem to be a separate arch/ABI as far as the kernel
> is concerned.

Off-topic, but:
1. While the Coldfire user mode instruction set is (more or less?) a subset
   of the classic m68k user mode instruction set, there are larger differences
   in the supervisor mode instruction sets.
2. Coldfire uses a different MMU than classic m68k.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert@...ux-m68k.org