Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 01:59:35 +0200
From: Harald Becker <ralda@....de>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Build option to disable locale [was: Byte-based C locale,
 draft 1]

On 07.06.2015 02:24, Rich Felker wrote:
> It's somewhat more clear what you're talking about, but I'm still not
> sure what specific pieces of code you would want to omit from libc.so.
> Which of the following would you want to remove or keep?

I did not look into all the details ...

In general: Keep the API, but add stubs with minimal operation or fail
for none C locale (etc.).

> - UTF-8 encoding and decoding

May be of use to keep, if on bare minimum.

> - Character properties
 > - Case mappings

Keep ASCII, map all none ASCII to a single value.

> - Internal message translation (nl_langinfo strings, errors, etc.)
 > - Message translation API (gettext)

No translation at all, keep the English messages (as short as possible).

> - Charset conversion (iconv)

Copy ASCII / UTF-8, but fail for all other.

> - Non-ASCII characters in regex and fnmatch patterns/brackers

May be the question to allow for UTF-8, but only those, no other
charsets (should allow to do some optimization and avoid all the
extended overhead).

fnmatch: Match None ASCII just 1:1, no other special operation.

regex: Don't have the experience on the internals of this topic. In
general allow for 1:1 matching of none ASCII characters, but otherwise
behave as C locale (e.g. equivalence classes).

--
Harald