Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 13:19:24 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: Sebastian Gottschall <s.gottschall@...wrt.com>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: stable 1.1.9 & current GIT broken on mips

On Tue, Jun 02, 2015 at 05:57:23PM +0200, Sebastian Gottschall wrote:
> Hello
>
> i tested today the current 1.1.9 (and later also current git so see
> if its the same behaviour)
> build on a mipsr2 big endian target (atheros ar7xxx) based on my
> dd-wrt firmware.
> i found out that mips seems to be broken on musl right now. the
> behaviour is
> that a call using execvp will not result in calling the desired
> application.
> on a second call and a following return call, the userspace will
> lock up with no way todo anything anymore.
>
> for testing i used the same compiler, just recompiled musl with
> version 1.1.8 and overwrote the libc library and crt stuff. the
> result was, that it worked
> again without any issue
>
> it needs to be considered that parts of the code is compiled using
> -mips16 and -minterlink-mips16 if that matters

I suspect the regression is related to your use of mips16, which I had
no idea worked at all with musl and is not something that's officially
supported. Did you build musl itself as mips16? I don't think this is
going to work because we have tail calls back and forth between C and
asm code where the asm is written in normal 32-bit mips instructions.
There may also be issues with the dynamic linker start code if
crt_arch.h is assembled in mips16 mode.

Could you provide details on your setup, specifically, which
components are being compiled as mips16?