Date: Sat, 9 May 2015 11:16:37 +0800
From: 罗勇刚(Yonggang Luo)  <luoyonggang@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com, James McNellis <james@...esmcnellis.com>,
	austin-group-l@...ngroup.org, Clang Dev <cfe-dev@...uiuc.edu>, blees@...n.de,
	dplakosh@...t.org, hsutter@...rosoft.com, writeonce@...ipix.org
Subject: Is that getting wchar_t to be 32bit on win32 a good idea for
 compatible with Unix world by implement posix layer on win32 API?

Two solution:
1、Change the width of wchar_t to 16 bit, I guess that would broken a
lot of things that exist on Win32 world.
2、Or we should preserve wchar_t to be 16 bit on win32, and add the
char16_t and char32_t
variant API for all API that have both narrow and wide version?

I support for the second one, even if the second option is not
applicable. the first option would cause a lot problems, the first
thing is all Windows API use wchar_t and dependent on the wchar_t to
be 2 byte width.  Second is, there is open source libraries that
dependent the de fac·to that wchar_t to be 16 bit, such as Qt,
Git(maybe).
Almost exist open source libraries that already ported to Win32 are
dependent the the fact wchar_t to be 16 bit,  cygwin is also discussed
if getting wchar_t to be 32bit on win32

https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-02/msg00037.html