Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 22:48:09 -0700
From: Andre McCurdy <armccurdy@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: building musl libc.so with gcc -flto

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 8:27 PM, Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:

> I would actually love to see new reports on gold with musl dynamic
> linking. The new dynamic linker bootstrap design should be a lot more
> robust against poor choices by the linker, but there could be stupid
> details that are breaking still which might call for fixes on musl's
> side.
>
> If you have citations for the problems that previously existed with
> musl+gold, it would be nice to see those again too just to make sure
> the issues were properly taken care of and not just swept under a rug.

I'm able to reproduce the problem I saw previously with the latest
musl git version. Behaviour is that some binaries dynamically linked
with gold (notably busybox) seem to run well but most binaries
segfault at startup.

I'm using gcc 4.9.2 and binutils 2.25, but I should also mention that
I'm using OpenEmbedded to build the toolchain and musl support in OE
is still quite experimental...

Below is a link to a base64 encoded tar file containing two
dynamically linked "hello world" x86 binaries. Both were created using
the same OE toolchain (the only difference was the -fuse-ld=XXX option
used). "hello.bfd" runs well, "hello.gold" segfaults. Hopefully they
can give some clues about what's happening.

  http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=RKJBqAg1

Andre