Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 22:03:53 -0400
From: Morten Welinder <mwelinder@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Explicit casts in ctype.h suppress compiler warnings

Ideally isspace and friends should also cause a warning
if called with a "char" or "signed char" argument.  Such calls
are generally wrong unless the range of the argument
can somehow be controlled.  ("char" might be unsigned,
for example.)

The number of people who have no idea why they should
not make such calls is astounding.  The typical response
is to blame the compiler and add an (int) cast.  The search
at

    https://searchcode.com/?q=isspace+%28int%29

claims ~55k instances.  Ignore the first page which is finding
isspace implementations, but incorrect uses.

M.