Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 20:57:57 +0300 (MSK)
From: Alexander Monakov <amonakov@...ras.ru>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Execinfo.h, backtrace is needed.

On Thu, 9 Apr 2015, Rich Felker wrote:
> I believe there's a third-party libbacktrace that might work with
> little or no modification.

One specific example would be libbacktrace from GCC, which is available under
a BSD-style license: https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=tree;f=libbacktrace

Building GCC's libbacktrace separately from the rest of the compiler is not
straighforward; some time ago I worked on that when importing libbacktrace
for use in apitrace project; you can view the result here:
https://github.com/apitrace/apitrace/tree/master/thirdparty/libbacktrace
(it uses cmake simply because apitrace itself is using cmake).

Please note: libbacktrace may be overkill if you don't need DWARF parsing at
runtime. For example, if you can perform symbol resolution separately as
post-processing, and capturing only stack frame addresses at runtime suffices,
libunwind may be the tool for the job.  Also, libunwind provides backtrace()
as a weak alias to its own unw_backtrace(), so in simple cases it's a drop-in
replacement.

Hope that helps.
Alexander