Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 14:16:03 +0200
From: u-wsnj@...ey.se
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: --preload and --library-path ?

On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 10:59:22AM -0400, John Mudd wrote:
> Where can I get more info on these options?
>
> 1.1.1 release notes
>
> new features:
> - new options --preload and --library-path to dynamic linker

These are a straightforward and proper (safe) equivalent of the
traditional poorly designed / unsafe LD_PRELOAD and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
environment variables. The options take the arguments with values
corresponding to the ones would-be-put into the variables.
The first non-option argument to the dynamic loader is the binary to be
run, the rest is passed as arguments to the started program.

In contrast to the variables these options are not automatically inherited
by possible child processes and exhibit the correct and safe behaviour.
The variables are atill respected if the corresponding option is not present.

Rune