Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 17:31:10 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: GSoC projects?

The call for applications for mentoring organizations for Google
Summer of Code 2015 has just opened. While we don't have the
organizational structure for musl to participate directly in GSoC, I'd
like to consider reaching out to some other organizations that might
be able to act as umbrella organizations and offer some possible
projects for students related to musl. Some ideas that come to mind
are:

- Improving toolchain support for musl.

- Fixing portability issues blocking musl support in apps -- the task
  could be something like "make portability fixes for N apps to get
  them working on musl-based systems and get X% of the fixes
  upstream".

- Meaningful benchmarking of libc interfaces that are likely to have
  an impact on performance. (This could be joint with glibc or Bionic,
  even.)

- Packaging more apps for a musl-based dist like Alpine or Sabotage.

- Porting musl to one or more additional archs, possibly covering the
  gaps in target support with musl vs uclibc.

It's been a while since I've looked at GSoC specifics so some of these
might need tweaks to make them into GSoC-worthy projects, but they all
seem like things that would be interesting and valuable.

Do we have anyone from the community who would be interested in
mentoring (or being a student) for projects like this? Other ideas?
Ideas on orgs to reach out to?