Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 06:45:32 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: isatty false positives and device state clobbering

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 10:29:53PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> As can be seen by strace, the TCGETS ioctl used by
> isatty/fdopen/__stdout_write to determine whether a file descriptor is
> a terminal is aliased by the SNDCTL_TMR_TIMEBASE ioctl for OSS sound
> devices.

FWIW, I think I was the one to implement this reporting in strace:

http://cvsweb.openwall.com/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/Owl/packages/strace/Attic/strace-20020608-owl-ioctl.diff?rev=1.1;content-type=text%2Fx-cvsweb-markup

(and this was later upstreamed), specifically because of the historical
mistake you describe.

IIRC, strace would say simply SNDCTL_TMR_TIMEBASE before this fix, even
though in most programs TCGETS was meant.

It's nice that you're trying to deal with another aspect of this issue
now... but not so nice that it exists in the first place.

Alexander