Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:12:24 -0500
From: stephen Turner <stephen.n.turner@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com, toybox@...ts.landley.net,
	"aboriginal@...ts.landley.net" <Aboriginal@...ts.landley.net>
Subject: Re: kernel design

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 11:19 AM, Nathan McSween <nwmcsween@...il.com>
wrote:

> An exokernel just multiplexes resources, similar concept to 'unikernel'
> design such as ellcc bare metal project except that unikernels includes the
> api within the kernel (as I understand). IMO the best would a single
> address space but would require a language that could guarantee safety, you
> would still need to the split though to verify that it isn't something that
> shouldn't be loaded though. Correct me if I'm wrong.
> On Jan 28, 2015 7:41 AM, "stephen Turner" <stephen.n.turner@...il.com>
> wrote:
>
>> so I have found 4 kernel types, exo, mono, mach, hybrid.
>>
>> the Exo sounds like the way to go but im curious if it could be built to
>> work with the existing linux world without rewriting everything for it.
>> since i have no programming knowledge im just curious what you guys think
>> about it if you have given it any thought.
>>
>> It is definately the ideal for hypervisors and with what little i have
>> read thus far feels like it manages hardware usage like containers but
>> without most of the kernel overhead to do so.
>>
>> Im getting tickled about this exo kernel. think i will go find more on it.
>>
>> stephen

Unikernels is that bare metal stuff is it not? so then that elk project (is
it elk?) is a unikernel + Musl + what ever linkage (syscalls and api?) is
needed to support native linux apps?

If i am understanding this still out of my element programming jargon, exo
kernels don't manage the apps they take a step back and simply supervise.
this leaves the existing gnu applications to speak directly with hardware
which they were not made for by using syscalls that the existing kernel
recognizes. so there would need to be a userspace kernel (now were getting
into mach kernels) of sorts to intermediate for old school apps while
allowing new built for exo kernel apps to do their unencumbered duties.

sound like wayland + xwayland to anyone else? :-p

Stephen

Content of type "text/html" skipped