Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 19:23:31 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: pthreads broken (freeradius testcase)

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 01:11:36AM +0100, Sebastian Gottschall wrote:
> sorry i forgot the full content. of the message. the first attemt
> failed due a too big attachment
>

> i can help you more. because i found the deadlocking function.
> its setresuid which hangs forever.  (i know that you submitted a
> patch recently which is related to that function, but i dont know if
> this will help here)
> debugging is more complicated with gdb here. its a embedded system
> without any remote debugging support
>
> its exact the same problem which is described here, but without any
> further solution or problem cause
>
> http://freeradius.1045715.n5.nabble.com/Hack-way-to-compile-freeradius-causing-freeradius-to-hang-under-multithread-mode-td2794760.html

Interesting. If the deadlock happens in setresuid, this may actually
be a very timely bug report. The mailing list threads about
multithreaded set*id/synccall, and my new blog post based on them,
http://ewontfix.com/17, are about fixing longstanding problems in this
area. I'll look into how it's being used in freeradius and see if I
can tell what's going on. I'm also going to be committing new code for
this soon (probably in the next 24 hrs) so you could give it a try
with that too and see if the problem goes away.