Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 13:00:05 +0100
From: u-wsnj@...ey.se
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: dynamic linking (Re: musl and android)

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 06:01:58AM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> copy of the dynamic linker (libc.so/ld-musl) in the package
> and executing the program via a wrapper script that manually invokes
> the dynamic linker (so the hard-coded PT_INTERP pathname isn't
> needed).

> But these are not the approaches I'd like to be
> recommending in the long term... :(

Actually I believe (and know from long time experience) this to be
the only "sane"/robust/general way to run dynamically linked executables.

I don't think that the implications of hardcoding the interpreter
path were well understood when dynamic linking was first deployed,
the hardcoding merely became percepted as the only/natural approach
when the purpose was to cheaply imitate the behaviour of statically
linked programs. (This mimics the #!/... which is similarly
limited/broken. The plain text scripts are though relatively easy
to modify to hack around the limitation, according to local curcumstances)

Rune