Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 16:56:38 +0100
From: u-wsnj@...ey.se
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: OT: Re: dynamic linking (Re: musl and android)

Actually I do not suggest any change, musl suits my usage model well
(kudos for the support of running the loader explicitly)!

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 08:34:45AM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> That's why I said i depends on your perspective. From your perspective
> this does not work. From most traditional distributions' perspectives,
> it does.

Well said.

The traditional distributions choose to live with the far reaching
consequences of their technical choices. I argue that some constraints
(iow sacrifices) are not necessary and only exist as a consequence
of the unfortunate choices.

> > Unfortunately, no. $ORIGIN does not and can not replace a run time
> > choice of the dynamic loader.

> If you're distributing the binary and dynamic loader/libc and all
> libraries it needs together, I'd assume they'd all be in the same
> directory, or else in ../lib/ relative to the binary. In that case

You suggest a somewhat more relaxed set of assumptions than the
traditional ones. Yes this would be useful, but unfortunately still
setting some more or less arbitrary boundaries.

> $ORIGIN works perfectly fine. Note that $ORIGIN is _not_ an
> environment variable; it's a dynamic-linker feature for locating
> libraries relative to the ELF file (main executable or other library)
> that needs (via DT_NEEDED) them, and the same concept would work for
> PT_INTERP.

Indeed, good to point this out for a casual reader.

Using an environment variable would be otherwise a quite general solution
but I guess this would be very hard to convince the kernel developers to
implement (presumably hardly possible to implement without redesigning
the kernel security model).

Regards,
Rune