Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 23:11:03 +0100
From: Laurent Bercot <ska-dietlibc@...rnet.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Call for ideas for future musl-related talks

On 30/12/2014 20:45, Rich Felker wrote:

> The "why does it matter" part is nice for bringing up the pitfalls of
> container deployment with glibc and mainstream library stacks --
> circular dependencies and difficulty of reproducible builds, need for
> large supporting infrastructure in your containers, large bug/attack
> surface, etc. Of course this doesn't really cover the matter of why
> C/POSIX are needed (versus e.g. a core OS built on node.js or lua or
> similar) but that's an opportunity to talk about resource accounting
> and how hard it is to make a robust system groundwork in a language
> that doesn't have a concept of storage and storage duration.

  If you do that talk, I would love to have a video of it, or at least
the slides. I often get asked this question about the skarnet.org
project and it's really hard to convince people of the importance of
smallness and reduced dependencies in the age of powerful computers
and packaged distribution; and the mere concept of attack surface isn't
even well understood. Having a document of reference to point people to
would be a tremendous help - and I've never taken the time to write a
serious one.

  If at some point you're open to external participation for the
preparation of such a talk or document, I'm very much willing to help.

--
  Laurent