Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 15:18:52 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: John Mudd <johnbmudd@...il.com>
Cc: musl <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Trouble compiling with Postgres library

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 03:13:04PM -0500, John Mudd wrote:
> Please cc me on replies. My work network is now blocking access to
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/musl/ because "it's located in Russian
> Federation".
>
> First I built Postgres with musl. That works well and I've been
> distributing musl Postgres in production.
>
> Today I'm trying to build a program that will be linked with Postgres libs.
> For some reason though it's invoking "ld" and getting confused with the
> standard C lib. Any suggestions?
>
> $ musl-gcc -o hello hello.c
> $ hello
> Hello!
> $ musl-gcc -o test1 test1.o -L/usr/rx30/musl/postgresql-9.3.4.install/lib
> -lecpg
> /usr/bin/ld: h_errno: TLS definition in //lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
> section .tbss mismatches non-TLS definition in
> /home/mudd/musl/musl-1.1.0.install/lib/libc.so section .bss
> //lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: error adding symbols: Bad value

This definitely means it's trying to link glibc. Adding -v to the
gcc command line would show the full command line that's being passed
to collect2/ld, which might give a hint as to why this is happening.
It's also possible that your postgresql libs have an rpath entry
pointing to /lib/i386-linux-gnu that the linker is following. I would
inspect libecpg.so and all of its dependencies with readelf to see if
they contain anything suspicious.