Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 18:48:31 -0500
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: binutils odd compile behavior

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 03:18:42PM -0500, stephen Turner wrote:
> I dont know if im being filtered, ignored, or overlooked for the recent
> work on atomics but i found an oddity and if its a concern to anyone let me
> know and i will get you the info you want.

Which particular message are you waiting for a reasponse to?

> I built a chroot environment using busybox, binutils 2.24 and gcc 4.2.1.
> While in the chroot i could not compile binutils.
>
> I keep a seperate code directory and build directory. When i build binutils
> outside of the code directory it normally builds fine until i enter the
> newly built musl chroot and then it starts to have errors with bfd. If
> however i go into the binutils directory and compile (against
> recommendations on lfs etc) it works fine.

Without actually describing the errors you're getting and the
procedure that led to them, there's not much hope to guess what the
cause is.

> I have the same issue when building musl only it works that way on debian
> or my musl system. If i compile musl in a seperate build folder it errors
> out but running the build from within the source folder works fine.

musl does not support out-of-tree builds. That should probably be
documented explicitly somewhere, but I don't think it is. Sorry. We'd
like to add support for this at some point but there were buggy corner
cases when nsz tried, and the work on this has been put aside for the
time being. So for now you need to build it in-tree. You can duplicate
your tree before building if you want to keep a clean tree, but "make
distclean" should return your build tree to a clean state too.