Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2014 12:05:23 -0800
From: Bryan Hundven <bryanhundven@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: musl-cross toolchains now unusable in Buildroot

Thomas,

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@...e-electrons.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Since quite a while, we've added support in Buildroot for the pre-built
> toolchains provided by musl-cross. This was a great way for people to
> test very easily the musl C library, and therefore get more people to
> use it.
>
> We're currently using the 1.1.1 version of the toolchain.
> Unfortunately, since version 1.1.2, two things have changed that
> prevent us from using the pre-built toolchains:
>
>  * The toolchains have the sysroot mechanism disabled. For an unknown
>    reason, in commit
>    https://bitbucket.org/GregorR/musl-cross/commits/f9c0c3c34f0fe122541a129f1aa87686954d5f1b,
>    the sysroot feature was disabled. This is weird, as essentially all
>    modern toolchains have the sysroot feature enabled. This is
>    essential for Buildroot to use a pre-built toolchain.

musl-cross uses a config.sh to configure the toolchain settings:
https://bitbucket.org/GregorR/musl-cross/src/tip/config.sh?at=default

That is where you would set:
```
WITH_SYSROOT=yes
```

So, musl-cross does still have sysroot, it just doesn't have it on by default.
Sysroot support does have a problem with the path, which is described
with this bug and patch:
https://bitbucket.org/GregorR/musl-cross/issue/2/sysroot-configuration-bug

>    I've filled
>    https://bitbucket.org/GregorR/musl-cross/issue/5/sysroot-support-needed-for-buildroot
>    about this issue.
>
>  * The absence of complete kernel headers. I don't know if it's related
>    to the change to use the sanitized headers from the Sabotage
>    project, or some other change, but the toolchain no longer has the
>    <linux/...> directory, which normally contains files such as
>    <linux/version.h>. This is for example causing a problem as
>    Buildroot checks the kernel headers version using <linux/version.h>,
>    though this particular aspect could potentially be fixed.
>
>    I've filled
>    https://bitbucket.org/GregorR/musl-cross/issue/6/non-standard-kernel-headers-causing-issues
>    about this issue.

I personally can't answer this one.

> Feedback/comments welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas
> --
> Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
> Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android engineering
> http://free-electrons.com

Cheers,

-Bryan