Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 11:26:08 +0400
From: Королев Сергей <korolev.sergey@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: do_tzset() prevents reusing the same name of a timezone file

I have a symlink "/etc/localtime -> /var/TZ". Only "/var/TZ" contents
modified for timezone changing but "TZ=/etc/localtime" variable (set in the
init process) always stays the same.

The constant TZ pointing to the symlink used to apply timezone settings for
all active processes in the system on the fly. This needs for proper
logging with the syslog.

> On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 12:20:05AM +0400, Королев Сергей wrote:
> > Hi, all.
> >
> > I have a question about do_tzset() function implementation (musl v1.1.5).
> > The function has the following conditions to prevent timezone file
> remapping
> >
> > if (old_tz && !strcmp(s, old_tz)) return;
>
> All this line does is prevent any reloading if the TZ variable has not
> changed since do_tzset() was last called.
>
> > which do not allow to use "TZ" environment variable pointing to the same
> > file (e.g. /etc/localtime). But some distros replace this file directly
> or
> > use it as a symlink.
> >
> > Is this limitation a bug or a feature?
>
> Can you clarify what problem you're actually experiencing?
> /etc/localtime is currently supported/used if TZ is unset or set to
> the empty string.
>
> Rich

Content of type "text/html" skipped