Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2014 21:43:34 +0000
From: Samuel Holland <samuel@...lland.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: libgcc errors

On October 9, 2014 4:08:35 PM CDT, stephen Turner <stephen.n.turner@...il.com> wrote:
>Thanks Samuel,
>I would use the musl-gcc wrapper (and have) however once gcc is compiled
>from it then it does not support dynamic linking due to the lack of --host
>(suggested) or --target (what seems more appropriate to me) specified in
>the configure flags. If i do specify it then i get all kinds of crazy
>errors which is why i consulted this mailing list in the first place since
>i have tried googling my way through documentation for a month prior to
>asking for help.

It took me an entire summer to figure this all out.

>Its my inexperienced opinion that simply switching libs from glibc6 to musl
>should be relatively easy compared to the full cross compile. To me it
>seems like it would be as easy as specifying a new lib when rebuilding gcc
>and that would be all.

It would be that easy if everything was statically linked.

>let me ask you one quick question. I went to the musl-cross website on
>bitbucket/gregorr and grabbed the patch for 4.7.3, is that a good working
>patch and gcc version? (all my errors seem to stem from compiling gcc) and
>is there any special way to download it or just click the raw button and
>wget the link  then "patch -Np1 -i file.name.diff"?

That is the correct file, and there is no special way to download it. Those steps will work. Your problems are not caused by a bad patch, but pollution from your host libc and toolchain. Dynamic linking is hard to get rid of. (I'm trying to avoid a rant here...)

If I might ask, what is your end goal? Maybe you'd have a better time starting with something like Alpine or Sabotage.

--
Regards,
Samuel Holland <samuel@...lland.net>