Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 12:43:46 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Locales with legacy codepages

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 11:23:35AM +0800, Рысь wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running a server which needs to speak with connected clients on
> a legacy codepage (in particular, cp1251, widely used by Russian
> people on Windows), and it has built-in gettext translation which
> can be activated only by setting a proper locale.
> However I don't know how musl supports locales with legacy
> codepages, if even. I don't fully understand how such translations
> work, so if there any ways to make legacy codepage locales work?
>
> On previous glibc system I started such server with
> LC_ALL=ru_RU.CP1251 environment variable and appropriate locale was
> defined with localedef.
>
> I have an option to convert all outgoing locale messages with iconv
> if musl does not have such support.

Using iconv is the the way to do this with musl. The only encoding
supported as the native locale encoding is UTF-8 and there are no
plans to change this. Since musl's iconv is not optimized for
conversion _to_ legacy codesets, if you find this is a performance
bottleneck, you might do better just to skip iconv and use your own
conversion function that's specific to cp1251.