Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 14:48:16 -0500
From: Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: libc.so segfaults on mips

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 12:41 PM, Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 06:38:10PM +0100, Laurent Bercot wrote:
>> On 04/09/2014 18:17, Rob Landley wrote:
>> >at the moment I'm trying to get a release out with the new wrapper and uClibc
>>
>>  Rob, would you have a very vague ETA for an Aboriginal Linux release
>> with musl ? (I'm mostly interested in the toolchains, but I guess you
>> won't release them without the rest of the project.)
>
> As I understand, the main problem right now is that the toolchains are
> insufficient for compiling musl, at least on some archs (see: broken
> -Bsymbolic-functions).
>
> Rich

That's the big one, but there are a few others. Huh, I haven't rsynced
http://landley.net/notes.html in a while, have I? [does that, yay
phone tethering]

September 3, august 25, august 17, august 16, all talk about me trying
to fix stuff in aboriginal. Not necessarily directly musl related, but
mostly fallout from switching build infrastructure over to
musl-friendly versions. The ccwrap rewrite was _fiddly_.

Yeah, it's going slowly. Attack of life. My $DAYJOB has been the most
time consuming part (nothing to do with anything I do in open source).
But also since my last release: I gave myself heatstroke at texas
linuxfest (did you know you can wind up sick for a month after that?),
my house got flooded (followed by professional disaster mitigation
people and construction guys replacing all the floors and baseboards).
The house's air conditioner stopped working twice (more or less
overwhelmed by humidity from the flooding and running constantly to
offset the fans and giant dehumidifiers the disaster recovery people
brought in), the car's air conditioner essentially exploded
(unrelated! but expensive), the kitchen sink broke and mildly flooded
the kitchen (different flooding!) and is now leaking again for yet
another unrelated reason (I hate garbage disposals), we got a new
kitten named Zabina (she attacks feet at 3am), and the dog died (out
of the blue, previously unknown tumor ruptured suddenly) and so my
wife got a new dog (which is why I got 5 hours of sleep last night).

On top of all that, the vast majority of my open source programming
time has been going into toybox (ala http://landley.net/hg/toybox), so
aboriginal bubbles to the top of the todo list when I need a test
harness for things that only run as root (such as mount and useradd)
because I dowanna test them directly on my development system. (Also
things like "rm -rf", testing _that_ was done under aboriginal, not on
the host.)

Rob

P.S. the http://landley.net/notes-2014.html#14-08-2014 entry is kind
of entertaining from a musl perspective. But then the fact the new
toybox mount wouldn't compile against uClibc because they're missing
all the new mount symbols since MS_BIND which went into the tree in
2.5.0.4 circa 2001 (_eleven_years_ before their last-ever release in
2012)... That was sad. I'm tempted to post to the uClibc list and ask
them to just stop, because it's not helping anymore.

(This mount command built against musl out of the box, of course,
using the musl wrapper on the host toolchain. I do regression test
that a bit as I go. It doesn't _work_ right yet (see "testing",
above), but it _compiled_...)