Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 16:46:23 -0500
From: Bobby Bingham <koorogi@...rogi.info>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [RFC] new qsort implementation

On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 04:53:42PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> > I thought I recalled hearing that SSIZE_MAX was the upper bound on all
> > object sizes in musl, but if we still allow larger mmaps than that, I
> > guess not.  I'll find a different approach when I send the next version
> > of the code.
>
> You are correct and nsz is mistaken on this. musl does not permit any
> object size larger than SSIZE_MAX. mmap and malloc both enforce this.
> But I'm not sure why you've written bsearch to need this assumption.
> The bsearch in musl gets by fine without it.

The point of this was that bsearch returns NULL if the element is not
found, but I need to know where the element would have been had it been
present.  The bitwise complement is used so that bsearch, written as a
wrapper around __bsearch, can tell whether the element was present or
not without requiring an extra comparison.

--
Bobby Bingham

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (837 bytes)