Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 14:56:08 +0200
From: u-igbb@...ey.se
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: compiling musl on x86_64 linux with ppc

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 08:38:32AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> > I am trying to compile musl 1.1.4 on x86_64 with ppc (latest from cvs).
>
> Are you sure it's latest? If you're using a snapshot there are
> multiple branches (iirc 1.0.DEVEL and 1.1.DEVEL or something like
> that) and the old one is very outdated and broken.

I did my best to locate the latest one,
it seems to present itself as 1.1.0.DEVEL

> > src/aio/aio_readwrite.c, line 23: compiler error: unsupported xasm constraint r11
> > error: XXXXX/libexec/ccom terminated with status 1
> > make: *** [src/aio/aio_readwrite.o] Error 1
> > -----------
> >
> > Is there any way around this, short of adding the register assignment
> > functionality to the compiler?
>
> Just use the #ifdef __clang__ branch of the code which handles the
> same brokenness in clang. :-)

According to Anders Magnusson (he replied on pcc-list) it is sufficient
to refer to r11 as %r11 to make it work. He thinks otherwise of adding
the alias r11 for %r11 in pcc.

Indeed, with a change of all "r11" to "%r11" in
 arch/x86_64/syscall_arch.h
the compilation went through without disabling the separate __syscallN().

My goal is a musl-based selfcontained pcc toolchain.
I'd like to also have a tcc-based one but musl seems to be too hard
a target for tcc yet :( sigh.

Rune