Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 23:12:23 +0200
From: Tim Tassonis <stuff@...entral.ch>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Compiling latest busybox with latest musl

On 08/08/2014 10:51 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 10:30:32PM +0200, Tim Tassonis wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> When I wanted to create s statically linked busybox (1.22.1), I looked
>> in the wiki and found the page:
>>
>> http://wiki.musl-libc.org/wiki/Building_Busybox
>>

>> This put me off a bit, as I did not want to modify my kernel headers
>> just to compile a static busybox.
>
> In order to compile Busybox (at least the applets that need kernel
> headers), you have to have a copy of the kernel headers in your musl
> include path anyway; if the host system is glibc-based, /usr/include
> will not be used. So this isn't as big a burden as it sounds like.
> You're not modifying "your kernel headers" but just the copy installed
> with musl. This does not need root.

The way I installed musl-1.1.14, there were no kernel headers installed.
I just did the

./configurre --prefix=$MUSL_BASE
make
make install

without any toolchain. So, the kernel headers were not found like this.
Linking them into the include directory of musl seems to be the least
expensive in this case.

Kind regards
Tim

--