Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 23:28:39 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Call for locales maintainer & contributors

On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 08:12:17PM -0700, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> But most importantly:
> (c): If I understand correctly, this _MANDATES_ a comment field in the .mo
> format (to note copyright, modifications, etc.)

I think that would probably depend on the degree and nature of data
used. Basic facts (like the names of countries, currencies, day and
month names, etc.) are not subject to copyright; at most, the CLDR
compilation and presentation of such data would be, but I see no way
this copyright could apply when the identical data could be obtained
from other sources. Obviously other things like non-trivial string
translations could be subject to copyright, though.