Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 07:26:27 +0200
From: Wermut <wermut@...il.com>
To: "musl@...ts.openwall.com" <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: locale fallback option

Hi

I think your statements make sense :) BTW, by adding locale to musl
you probably opened the pandora :)

You are right with the LC_* fallback. If you setup a new translation
team, then probably these files are the first that get implemented.

The GNU LANGUAGE is indeed working for some use cases, but still
has/had some limitations, when I tried it some time ago. The problem
was, that LC_TIME etc. where not properly overwritten by gettext
according to LANGUAGE. That means if I set "LC_ALL=xyz_AB" and added
"LANGUAGE=xyz:ts", the dates with programs no translation in  to "xyz"
had still the Dates etc. formatted according to it. In west european
languages this is a no brainer, but it got ugly once you use different
scripts to write both langs. Like mixing arabic and english.

If at least gettext is made properly and would allow a really proper
LANGUAGE functionality, then probably I would be happy.

I will test next week if glibc is still handling it like described.

Regards

 Kevin