Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 21:57:19 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Locale bikeshed time

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 09:07:22PM -0400, writeonce@...ipix.org wrote:
> In terms of practicality: for many of the calendars I mentioned,
> conversion involves not only a formula, but also date- and
> year-based considerations.  A correct implementation of all the %E?
> specifiers is accordingly going to include many bytes of code that
> probably shouldn't be pulled in whenever a "random" static
> application uses strftime.  That being said, if musl's

Obviously unless the set of such rules is fixed and free of the need
for external updates, it would need to be represented as *data* that's
loaded as part of the locale file and not as code. Or as a query to a
(local) service.

> implementation of %E? could use weak aliases and standardized hooks,
> then applications or calendar-specific libraries could provide these
> hooks and still use the libc strftime, rather than a complex system
> of wrappers and conditionals.

That's now how weak symbols work -- they're not a way to add plug-in
code.