Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 19:35:36 +0300
From: Timo Teras <timo.teras@....fi>
To: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: if_nameindex, etc. [Re: Progress towards 1.1.4]

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 12:13:42 -0400
Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 07:09:56PM +0300, Timo Teras wrote:
> > So +300 bytes in text, but in return there is added functionality
> > such as returning the link-level info in PF_PACKET dump (including
> > statistics). I also expect the code to be a lot faster:
>
> One thing I forgot to ask: is there any regression in returning
> old-style interface "alias" names, i.e. do things like "eth0:1" still
> appear in the output of if_nameindex?

Hum. Seems there are two ways to have multiple IP-address: using the
alias hack, and by just adding address via "ip addr add".

If using "ip addr", there is no alias interface. The old code seems to
list the basename for each address, so the old code is "buggy" by
possibly listing the same interface multiple times in this scenario.

But the netlink code I wrote, does not currently enumerate the alias
interface names if addresses are added with the alias hack "ifconfig
eth0:1 ...". Netlink seems to report also these alias names, so doing
this properly is easily fixable. I can fix it tomorrow. I can also look
at fixing the if_nameindex() memory alloc issues while at it.

- Timo