Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 22:39:09 -0500
From: Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net>
To: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
CC: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Mutt group reply

On 07/15/14 10:12, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 09:27:09AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:

>>> Thanks! I had been looking for a solution to this issue for a long
>>> time but didn't bother to really look into it.
>>
>> Thunderbird's "reply all" will _only_ reply to the reply-to, and I wind
>> up manually copying in individual email addresses to cc: when I bother.
>> (Yes, it has a 'reply list' button, but the reply-to header overrides
>> the difference.)
>
> Reply-to headers should not override the 'reply to all' feature in a
> mail client. If they do, this is a bug. What use is 'reply to all' if
> it behaves the same as plain 'reply'?

Agreed. It's a bug. My guess why reply-to can still trigger such an
obvious bug in a project this old and widely used would involve reply-to
being obscure and seldom used.

(Note: on _this_ email, reply all worked. Because I wash my email
through gmail for the spam filtering and download it via pop, and doing
so has a duplicate killer you can't disable, and this time the direct
copy rather than the list copy arrived first. Since the reply-to is
added by the list, a user replying to the copy they were cc'd on would
never see a reply-to header in the first place. Which is one reason
_why_ it's so seldom used; it doesn't actually work. If somebody isn't
subscribed the list and you cc: them, their reply won't have a reply-to
to force it to the list. So the people most likely to _need_ reply-to
don't get it...)

*shrug* Not a big deal. I mostly read the list archives on the web anyway...

Rob