Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 20:11:15 -0700
From: Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag@...il.com>
To: John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com, alpine-devel@...ts.alpinelinux.org,
	yetanothergeek@...il.com
Subject: Re: Attempting to debug C++ library and command via valgrind

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 02:19:46PM +0200, John Spencer wrote:
> Isaac Dunham wrote:
> >Hello,
> >I've been trying to get Sword 1.7.3 (crosswire.org/sword) running on Alpine.
>
> sword seems to have a lot of issues...
>
> the problems starts with lack of a pre-generated configure script.
> this forces the user to have the complete fragile autoconf stack installed.

Ah, you're building from the VCS not tarballs.
I was building from this tarball:
http://www.crosswire.org/ftpmirror/pub/sword/source/v1.7/sword-1.7.3.tar.gz
which was released within the last month.

I know you're not building from the tarball, since...
$ tar tzf sword-1.7.3.tar.gz |grep configure
sword-1.7.3/bindings/swig/package/configure.ac
sword-1.7.3/bindings/swig/package/configure
sword-1.7.3/cmake/configure-iphone.sh
sword-1.7.3/cmake/configure-iphone-simulator.sh
sword-1.7.3/configure
sword-1.7.3/configure.ac

The documentation indicates that CMake is supported as well as autoconf.

But anyhow, someone on the sword-devel list sent me a patch which fixed
diatheke in their tests; it's a matter of brace placement.
I want to check for myself, though.

(IE: replicating and fixing is not needed.)
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But if you do want to go ahead:
In the build department, it may need one of --with-cxx11regex,
--with-internal-regex, or clucene; I haven't checked if POSIX regexes
get autodetected, and the configure help does not document use of
libc regexes. clucene presence is autodetected.
ICU is also usually used; there are references to optional use of "sword-icu",
but standard icu works well.
(I'm not sure how well it works, but building without icu is also possible.)
Most users will end up wanting curl support.
(in short: default config depends on clucene, curl, icu; all of those
could be pared away, but don't count on things working the same.)

> then it justs quits without even trying to load the KJV file... (my guess is
> that it didn't find some .so it depends on and then stops somewhere where it
> would require the external lib functionality but has only a nullpointer).

as far as the KJV part, if you still want to try:
mkdir ~/.sword && printf '[INSTALL]\nDataPath=%s/.sword\n' "$HOME" \
 >~/.sword/sword.conf && \
 echo yes | installmgr -rc && \
 echo yes | installmgr -r  CrossWire && \
 echo yes | installmgr -ri CrossWire KJV

(The above will only work if you build with curl.)

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham