Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 19:04:45 +0200
From: u-igbb@...ey.se
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Status towards next release (1.1.4)

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 11:03:33AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> Another idea is pulling the search path from /etc/musl-locale.conf or
> similar. Obviously this is not the most friendly to Rune's usage case,

Thanks for the thought :)

Such a file would enforce the configuration to be strictly "one per computer".
No differences between different users on the computer would be allowed.

Hardcoding a reference to a _globally_ placed file like this (you know,
we have no local places to count with - our programs work without
bothering the local admin of an unknown distro) would be disasterous.

(Any change in the file or in the data in the paths given there would
instantly affect a potentially infinite set of users. And of course
different users have different needs, one size does not fit all.)

> but it would just be one more hard-coded path to override in the
> custom build, or if absolute pathnames were also accepted for locales
> the support for /etc/musl-locale.conf could just be stripped out.

Absolute locale names can not replace using short (standard) locale
names with adjustable (not necessarily standard) databases.

Please leave a possibility to specify the directory containing the
locale definitions (or a path to search if you prefer) at run time,
per application instance - I am not aware of anything adequate besides
a dedicated environment variable.

Rune