Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 11:03:33 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Status towards next release (1.1.4)

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 01:10:35AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> - The Big Bikeshed: where to find locale files? These will be somewhat
>   musl-specific (to the extent that no other implementation uses the
>   design I have in mind, though it would be easy for others to use
>   it), so there's no existing practice to simply adopt. The files are
>   not machine-specific (we'll support either endianness .mo file) so
>   /usr/share (or other prefix variants) is the natural base location.

One idea for this: just don't accept anything except the built-in
locales (C, C.UTF-8, POSIX) and absolute pathnames. For suid programs,
the latter could be rejected completely (the safest and probably what
we should do) or restricted to a set of reasonable paths where each
path component is checked for permissions.

Another idea is pulling the search path from /etc/musl-locale.conf or
similar. Obviously this is not the most friendly to Rune's usage case,
but it would just be one more hard-coded path to override in the
custom build, or if absolute pathnames were also accepted for locales
the support for /etc/musl-locale.conf could just be stripped out.