Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 21:08:15 +0200
From: u-igbb@...ey.se
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: unsure about the correctness of O_ACCMODE definition

Hello,

I am troubleshooting lilo linked against musl. The combination does not
work which is not surprising:

It looks like there are two incompatible interpretations of O_ACCMODE
in musl and in lilo.

musl:

----
 #define O_ACCMODE (03|O_SEARCH)
----

lilo:

----
 #ifdef O_ACCMODE
 # define O_NOACCESS O_ACCMODE
 #else
----
(it makes open(...,O_NOACCESS) which succeeds, fully according to
opengroup.org: O_SEARCH in open(<non-dir>) leads to "undefined results"
but doesn't have to fail; then lilo tries ioctl() on the resulting fd,
which fails)

Then there is
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7908799/xsh/fcntl.h.html :

----
 O_ACCMODE
    Mask for file access modes.

 File access modes used for open() and fcntl():

 O_RDONLY
    Open for reading only.
 O_RDWR
    Open for reading and writing.
 O_WRONLY
    Open for writing only.

----

This document suggests somehow that O_ACCMODE is equivalent to
 (O_RDONLY|O_RDWR|O_WRONLY)

Actually it does not _have_ to be defined in such a way and might
e.g. include bits which are known to always be zero but that
would not look like a robust design.

I feel that the heuristics used in lilo is flawed but I lack firm
arguments to be able to say it is a bug (O_NOACCESS per se
seems to be obscure / non-standard / hardly documented).

I feel on the other side that the definition of O_ACCMODE in musl is
questionable and wonder whether anybody can comment on what and why
is right.

Thanks,
Rune