Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 10:36:39 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Requirements for new dns backend, factoring considerations

On Sun, Jun 01, 2014 at 10:01:51AM +0200, u-igbb@...ey.se wrote:
> > As another alternative, we could drop the goal of doing search
> > suffixes in parallel. This would have no bearing on lookups of fully
> > qualified names using the default settings (ndots:1) since the
> > presence of a dot suppresses search. Where it would negatively impact
> > performance, though, is for users who want to have several search
> > domains (think: home network, university network, department-specific
> > university network, etc.) for quick shortcuts to machines on multiple
> > different networks.
>
> My experience is that such kind of shortcuts is dangerous and inconsistent.
> They stir different namespaces, this can not give a reliable outcome
> in a general case.

I tend to agree with this a lot. As long as you leave ndots=1, your
shortcuts have no dots in them, and you only have one search domain, I
think the results can be fairly reliable/consistent. But in general
you're right. I'm not sure if other implementations fall back to
searching when this_query.dots>=ndots and looking up this_query as a
fqdn failed, but doing so sounds like bad and dangerous behavior and
I'd strongly prefer not to do it.

> What a certain shortcut resolves to depends on too many things and among
> others on which changes are made by third parties to the contents of
> the name spaces which you short-circuit (a new host in one's department
> can easily take the place of a desired host at a different department).

Yes, I think this feature is harmful whenever third-party changes can
affect _which_ result you see and not just whether you see a result or
not. Note that any use of ndots>1 leads to such issues (e.g. do you get
google.com or google.com.example.com?).

> > Another option still is leaving search domains unimplemented (musl has
> > not supported them up til now, and there hasn't been much request for
>
> As I see this, spending your time on other things might be a better choice.

If we don't want to accelerate it with parallel lookups, leaving it
for later, and only if there's demand, is a perfectly viable strategy.
It's only a consideration now if parallelism is considered important.