Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 17:39:37 -0400
From: "writeonce@...ipix.org" <writeonce@...ipix.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: static musl-based gdb and -fPIC

On 04/20/2014 04:31 PM, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 01:03:12PM -0400, writeonce@...ipix.org wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> While building a statically linked musl-based gdb, ld asked that
>> libc.a be recompiled with -fPIC.
> This is a bug in the gdb build process. Despite your request for a
> static gdb, it's trying to build a shared library for something.
> There's a way to disable it (IIRC --disable-gdbserver is a big hammer
> that can do it, and there might be a more fine-grained approach) but
> the real issue is that the build process is broken and doing something
> that can't work.

Thanks!  The offending part was indeed in gdbserver.  With
--disable-gdbserver, -fPIC is no longer necessary.  Looking into this, I
thought the problem lied in gdb/gdbserver/Makefile.in

     LDFLAGS = @LDFLAGS@
     INTERNAL_LDFLAGS = $(LDFLAGS) @RDYNAMIC@

however removing @RDYNAMIC@ did not solve the issue, so for the time
being gdbserver will have to be disabled.

For the record: python's Modules/posixmodule.c has a static
implementation of posix_close that is incompatible with musl's.  My
first take on that was to make python use musl's posix_close, which
resulted in a very subtle bug leading to a segmentation fault (not to
mention all of those lost hours...)  Renaming the module's posix_close
to __posix_close solved the problem.  The code that triggered the bug was

     import subprocess
     subprocess.Popen(['ls'])

With the newer approach (__posix_close) everything seems to work fine.

Thanks again,
zg