Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 22:52:04 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: __xmknod, __sysv_signal

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 09:18:33PM -0500, M Farkas-Dyck wrote:
> A dynamic-linked binary blob I have wants these. Are these appropriate
> to include in musl? I have a patch ready.

Send the patch and I'll review it.

For __xmknod, I think this is just the ABI symbol glibc uses for
mknod, and we could certainly add it (though I question whether there
are any useful programs using it that couldn't just be rebuilt against
musl).

For __sysv_signal, I'm not sure what we should do. Its semantics are
different from signal(), but it's doubtful that any program actually
intended to request the sysv semantics (they're fundamentally broken
and have race conditions that renders any program using them buggy) so
it might just make more sense to have it be an alias for signal than
to actually implement the broken sysv behavior. (Most likely is that
glibc's weird behavior with certain feature test macros caused a
program to inadvertently pull in the broken sysv version of signal
rather than the default one.)