Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 16:23:10 +0200
From: Natanael Copa <ncopa@...inelinux.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: timo.teras@....fi, justin@...cialbusservice.com
Subject: Re: if_nameindex/getifaddrs and dhcpcd issue

On Tue, 8 Apr 2014 15:25:59 +0300
Timo Teras <timo.teras@....fi> wrote:

> IMHO, if someone wants to be linux compatible today, it's easier to
> implement the netlink stuff; than the /proc stuff. /proc has equally
> linux specific things in it and is mainly intended to be human
> readable with few exceptions. /sys would be better option as it's
> inteded to be machine readable, but it's still text too.

But /sys is not claimed to be stable so location can move around.
Not sure we can use it for network interfaces.

Basically we want wants in /sys/class/net but sysfs-rules says thats
kernel implementation details and might change.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sysfs-rules.txt

We could probably scan /sys/device for dirs named 'net' but that's not
prettier than /proc.

-nc